Our guest today is Chrystle Fiedler, the author of DEATH DROPS: A NATURAL REMEDIES MYSTERY (Gallery Books/Simon & Schuster), the non-fiction title THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO NATURAL REMEDIES and THE COUNTRY ALMANAC OF HOME REMEDIES. Chrystle has also written about natural remedies for many national publications including Better Homes and Gardens, Natural Health, Vegetarian Times and Remedy.
I love kisses, especially dark chocolate ones! Not only does dark chocolate taste good, it’s good for your health. In my writing I focus on natural remedies (and in my new mystery DEATH DROPS: A NATURAL REMEDIES MYSTERY) so this is something that I find interesting. Dark chocolate is one of the best natural cures around. That’s because dark chocolate is loaded with flavonoids, a kind of antioxidant, that protect the body from free radicals which can cause many chronic conditions such as heart disease. Dark chocolate is an effective natural remedy because it:
- Reduces blood pressure by dilating blood vessels.
- Lowers cholesterol
- Slashes the risk of diabetes (by cutting sugar use and stopping insulin spikes)
- Inhibits the clumping of blood platelets reducing the risk of blood clots and strokes.
- Stimulates endorphin production, which makes you feel good
- Contains serotonin which acts as a mild anti-depressant
- Has theobromine and caffeine which is stimulating and helps you focus
- Activates certain enzymes which help prevent cancer
- Tastes yummy!
The key with chocolate that is good for you is not to overdo. Just eating an ounce or two several times a week is enough to reap dark chocolate’s benefits. You’ll find more natural cures like chocolate to improve health in my book DEATH DROPS: A NATURAL REMEDIES MYSTERY (Gallery Books/Simon and Schuster) which will be published on February 21st 2012. Please visit www.chrystlefiedler.com and www.killerhobbies.blogspot.com where I blog on Saturdays!
To have a chance at winning an autographed copy of DEATH DROPS: A NATURAL REMEDIES MYSTERY and a bag of Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses, leave a comment below!